Almond Flour Pizza Crust
Pizza is a favorite dish of millions around the world, but it has a reputation of being very unhealthy and not inclusive of dietary restrictions. Nowadays it is super simple to adjust to your needs. Whether you are: gluten free, low carb, vegan, or anything else you can make a delicious guilt free pizza to fit your needs.
Almond flour crust is thin and crispy and is best right out of the oven. It does dry out quick though, so it does not make for the best leftovers.
Yields: 1 medium-large pizza or 2 personal pizzas
Prep Time: 5-20 Minutes (depending on toppings)
Cook time: 15 Minutes
- 8 oz almond flour, about 2 cups (I prefer to measure flours by weight because it is more accurate)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried ground Italian herbs, such as: oregano, rosemary, basil, etc... play around with it to find your perfect combination
- 2 tsp double acting baking powder
- 1 egg (can use egg substitute to make vegan)
- 1/2 cup herbed tomato sauce, low salt and no sugar
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (vegan cheese can be used, but not all of it browns or melts the same)
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 large bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/4 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound of Italian sausage, remove from casing, cook on skillet, and drain grease (vegan sausage can be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and either: line a baking sheet with baking parchment, or preheat a pizza stone in the hot oven for at least 15 minutes (this allows for a nice crispy crust)
- Mix all dry crust ingredients in large bowl or stand mixer
- Add egg and mix until dough forms, add water 1 tsp at a time as needed if dough is dry and crumbly
- Split dough into 2 equal balls or keep as one dough ball
- Flatten onto parchment paper and cover with another sheet of parchment
- Roll into a circle between the parchment with rolling pin until about 1/4" thick
- Smooth and pinch the edges to create a raised perimeter
- Transfer rolled dough to prepared baking sheet or hot pizza stone
- Bake about 7 minutes until crust starts to brown
- Remove from oven and top with sauce, cheese, or whatever toppings you feel like having today, have fun with it and get creative.
- Bake again for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
- Slice and enjoy!